Monday, May 5, 2008

glasses be gone

I ran into an unexpected knitting situation last week. You see, these:

DSCN2672

are no more. Almost exactly a week ago, I had LASIK. I knew to expect that my eyes wouldn't be perfect right away, that maybe they might be itchy or dry. They forgot to tell me that after I woke up from the recommended post-surgery nap I'd be bored out of my mind! I don't know if it's the same for everyone, but it took a while for my eyes to get back to "normal". (OK, they're not normal for me - I can actually SEE! No, I'm still not used to it, yes, it's a bit freaky.) Middle distances were great, but it was a day or so before I could see up close and really far without everything being "weird" (which is the best way I have to describe it - I could see to read, but it was just "weird"). Which meant that knitting wasn't exactly something that was on the to-do list. However, I was bored. Very bored.

Therefore, my first option was to organize my knitting mess. I am now proud to say that all balls of yarn and pattern pertaining to the same project are all together in the same bag. That all my dpn's are safely put away together. That I located my missing size 5 us (3.75 mm) circular. That I restarted a long-abandoned sweater. Opps. Healing eyes be damned, I started knitting. In my defense, it's on those 3.75mm needles, which compared to the lace I've knit lately, makes it a pretty large scale knit. (Yeah, I know, it's not quite jumbo needles.)

DSCN2679

I originally started the Dickinson Pullover (Interweave Knits, Fall 2007) back in November, and got about 6" into one sleeve. Sleeve frogged, this would be the back, almost to the shoulder decreases. Amazing how fast a sweater goes after Whispering Pines! I love the cables:

DSCN2682

Which of course, is why I'm making this. Even though I won't get to wear it until fall. (Assuming I finish by then!)

I did finish another knit the next day, which I might get to use this spring. If I can get it blocked; alas the blocking surfaces are all unavailable for the foreseeable future.

DSCN2675

The Morning Glory is even older, dating from August. It was half finished when I started the sweater the first time. But some other projects got in the way...so I didn't finish it until just now. Shameless, I know (and I loved knitting it! The yarn is wonderful, the pattern entertaining...I don't know what was wrong with me...) I really want to block it to see in its glory! (Opps...no pun intended there.) Maybe this weekend...

(Ravelry links for my sweater here; shawl here.)

1 comment:

Anne-Marie said...

Quite an appropriate blog name for the last week :)